USD
High CPU usage on i...

High CPU usage on install and (kernel) update  

RSS

erik
 erik
(@erik)
26/11/2019 4:37 am  

I have recently installed VitalPBX on a Supermicro X7SPA-D525-HF. This is a passively cooled system. At the end of the install, which took a long tim, it started giving me temperature warnings. Luckily it finished before frying the CPU.

Then I did a yum update to bring the system to the latest version (2.3.8-3). This also installed a new kernel and during update-initramfs I was getting the same warnings again. It too took a while, so I am guessing during the install it may have been update-initramfs as well.

I am running Debian systems on other systems with the same hardware and never noticed anything like this. Yes, update-initramfs takes a while on them too, but not as long and it certainly does not heat the CPU as much.

mrivera
(@ing-joserivera26)
Developer Admin
26/11/2019 10:00 am  

Do you data or tenants created on the system?

ReplyQuote
erik
 erik
(@erik)
26/11/2019 11:03 am  

@ing-joserivera26

I am not sure I understand what you're asking. This is a clean install from the ISO, followed by a yum update. Only installed what the ISO installer installed.

Not a multi-tennant system, if that's what you're asking.

There are 9 extensions and 2 trunks, but obviously those don't affect the OS. I am not too familiar with CentOS. All the other systems I've built have been Debian pr Debian based.

I don't recall if the same effect was present with Elastix.

Maybe it's more of a CentOS question than a VitalPBX?

ReplyQuote
mrivera
(@ing-joserivera26)
Developer Admin
27/11/2019 8:35 am  

Did you made a full update? From what version did you made the update?

ReplyQuote
erik
 erik
(@erik)
27/11/2019 8:55 am  

@ing-joserivera26

This is a clean install from the latest 2.3.8 ISO offered by the ayera mirror, dated 4 oktober.

Then I did a "yum update" to bring the system to the latest version (2.3.8-3).

Recap: Full update from 2.3.8 to 2.3.8-3

ReplyQuote
mrivera
(@ing-joserivera26)
Developer Admin
27/11/2019 9:21 am  

Got it, I can be possible that be something related to Centos 7, or the virtulization your using.

ReplyQuote
erik
 erik
(@erik)
27/11/2019 9:31 am  

@ing-joserivera26

That must be CentOS then. No virtualisation. It's running on a Supermicro X7SPA-D525-HF, bare metal. This is a passively cooled system with an Atom processor.

ReplyQuote
mo10
 mo10
(@mo10)
Estimable Member
01/12/2019 4:53 am  
Posted by: @erik

@ing-joserivera26

That must be CentOS then. No virtualisation. It's running on a Supermicro X7SPA-D525-HF, bare metal. This is a passively cooled system with an Atom processor.

There is clearly something wrong with your cooling!
Even the mainboard is passive cooled you need at least a good airflow with fans inside the enclosure. 

See here and other google searches.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-x7spe-hf-d525-cooling-suggestions.13972/

Sure the Installation and Update auf VitalPBX uses the CPU. This is normal. Even after hours of 100% CPU Load your system should not get too hot.

ReplyQuote
erik
 erik
(@erik)
01/12/2019 7:18 am  

@mo10

Thanks.

The entire system is passively cooled and has been for 10+ years. There are no fans inside the enclosure. There is normal airflow.

Yes, it is to be expected that the installation and update of VitalPBX uses more CPU than normal operation, but that does not cause a noticeable rise in temperature. It is specifically during update-initramfs that the temperature went way up. Next time, I will be ready to collect more data.

Also, I never said it got too hot. It just got hot enough to raise temperature warnings on the BMC. Could it have sustained this level of operation for hours, maybe?

The point was that it got hot at all. I have been running Elastix on this system for many years and never noticed anything like this when installing or updating.

I don't think Elastix ever got beyond Centos5, so maybe this is normal behaviour for Centos7. I have no data to compare and was wondering if anyone else has.

ReplyQuote
mo10
 mo10
(@mo10)
Estimable Member
01/12/2019 7:26 am  

Install a clean debian and install:
stress or stress-ng (CPU Stresstesting)
lmsensors (Temperatures)

Then watch the Temps and try again with CentOS.

example for stresstesting:
stress -c 4
or
stress-ng -cpu 4

Share your temperature-results

Keep in mind that a Intel Atom D525 is not really a fast CPU (very slow). This is why the VitalPBX installation takes so long.

This post was modified 6 days ago by mo10

ReplyQuote
erik
 erik
(@erik)
01/12/2019 7:49 am  

@mo10

Thanks, but this is a production system. No room for experiments. When a test system becomes available, I will do some more digging. Not anytime soon, sadly.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register